Ageing Knees? Don’t go weak in your Knees
Do you hear a sudden click in your knee while bending down? Do your knees hurt while squatting? Well, your knees are trying to convey their ageing story. It may not be wise to ignore the click sound, minor pain or swelling once you have crossed your 50's.
Osteoarthritis (OA) is common among ageing population and one of the leading causes of disability. It is the second most common problem & the most frequent joint disease with a prevalence of 22% to 39% in India.
In Knee OA, the cartilage in the knee joint gradually wears away and it becomes frayed & rough and the space between the bones decreases. Arthritic knee usually begins with symptoms of joint click, pain and swelling that worsen in the morning. Knee arthritis can make it hard to do many activities such as walking and climbing stairs.
- the joint may become stiff & swollen,
- making it difficult to bend & straighten the knee.
- The knee may “lock” during the movement.
- It may creak, click, snap or make a grinding noise (crepitus).
- The pain can cause a feeling of weakness or buckling in the knee.
Weather changes usually aggravate the symptoms - You may notice increased knee pain during rainy & cold weather.
Since OA is a degenerative condition; the damage occurred cannot be reversed. But timely intervention in the form of regular exercise and early Physiotherapy can arrest degeneration & maintain joint integrity.
Easy ways to manage OA knee :
- Manage your Weight
- Keep a check on your Calcium & Vitamin D levels
- Avoid offending movements like squatting
- Do not delay : Address the signs of pain in time
- Specific knee exercises
We have some very easy and convenient tips to manage arthritis pain on our website. Read Here
We provide Physiotherapy services in: